Monday, March 1, 2010

Frankfort Libary March 1st - March 31st, 2010







Artist Statement:
Diane J. McGarel


Art is an expression of the self, intended to communicate the artist’s emotions, development, and thought processes to the viewer. Art is ever changing, metaphorical to life’s continuous changes. If life is perceived as being in constant flux, the expression of art should also be in constant motion.
Process: I begin each of my digital works of art by drawing, painting, or tossing dye onto canvas. I then scan the image onto my computer, altering it with a variety of computer programs. My mixed-media works evolve when I take the digital image, change it, and restructure it on the canvas by using acrylic paints, torn or ripped paper or canvas, metal, and various other objects: My predilection for abstract art is revealed in the preponderance of grids and fragmentation viewed in my artwork.

This technique offers the viewer my personal mode of expression because it symbolizes the circle of life: birth, death and rebirth. Similarly, the digital and mixed-media effect invites the viewer (or critic) to observe or interpret the works, by offering infinite possibilities without limitations.

Influences: My art is an expression of all my experiences that have manifested in a collective process. In my adult life, I have been highly influenced by brothers Doug and Mike Starn. They were the first to introduce me to the notion that photography like paint should have a tactile component. Photography can be felt as well as just viewed by the viewer. As such, I have incorporated texture in my works by surrounding the torn digital prints with paints, sand and other materials. Other artists I admire are Chuck Close and Henri Mattise who when faced with human frailty did not let their handicaps cripple them. They creatively endured and even strived to overcome adversity, and in the process enhanced their art works.

and more info can be found on my website




1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Diane! I am hoping to make it up there to see the work first hand.
    I am intrigued by the process!

    ReplyDelete